My receipt from a recent trip to the produce market:

2 packs of lettuce
1 bunch of asparagus
2 nectarines
2 big apples
2 lbs of oranges
4 bananas
4 yellow plums

Total: €5.89

It's not just produce that's this cheap. At the grocery store, I can spend around €30 for enough food to last me the entire week. And at the neighborhood farmer's market, I can supply myself for even cheaper. It's been a while since I've gone grocery shopping in the US, but from what I remember, it would cost me almost double what I spend here to eat comparably back at home.

Despite being cheap, the food here, especially the produce, is GOOD. Like, perfectly ripe, bright colors, and keeps for a good amount of time. I guess that that's a result of the food being grown closer to the city- Barcelona is surrounded by farmland, and most fruits and veggies come from the province. A short supply chain means tastier, cheaper food. Makes you wonder why this hasn't caught on in the US, if just for economical reasons.

Another benefit: a consistently healthier diet. When food is this cheap, why would you even want to eat junk food?